Embers Of The Past: Essays In Times Of Decolonization (Latin America Otherwise)
Embers of the Past: Essays in Times of Decolonization (Latin America Otherwise)
Embers of the Past is a powerful critique of historicism and modernity. Javier Sanjinés C. analyzes the conflict between the cultures and movements of indigenous peoples and attention to the modern nation-state in its contemporary Latin American manifestations. He contends that indigenous movements have introduced doubt into the linear course of modernity, reopening the gap between the symbolic and the real. Addressing this rupture, Sanjines argues that scholars must rethink their temporal categories. Toward that end, he engages with recent events in Latin America, particularly in Bolivia, and with Latin American intellectuals, as well as European thinkers disenchanted with modernity. Sanjinés dissects the concepts of the homogeneous nation and linear time, and insists on the need to reclaim the indigenous subjectivities still labeled "premodern" and excluded from the production, distribution, and organization of knowledge.
"Embers of the Past is a major statement on nation-building and nation deconstruction. Arguing that the construction of nations on the bases of modernity and linear history facilitated the rise of Europeans and the decline of Latin American communities, Javier Sanjinés C. unravels not only those concepts but also others...
- Bronx Primitive: Portraits In A Childhood
- If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems About School (Aladdin Poetry)
- Sharing Nature With Children, 20th Anniversary Edition
- The Buffalo Storm
- Tap (Dance) Basics, Part II VHS Tape
- Cautionary Tales: Critical Curating
- Perfectly Prep: Gender Extremes At A New England Prep School (Child Development In Cultural Context)
- Wild And Scenic Rivers: An American Legacy
- The Book Of Strangers
- One Of The Guys: Girls, Gangs, And Gender
- The Millionaire's Dinner Party: An Adaptation Of The Cena Trimalchionis Of Petronius
- The Dentists Guide To Medical Billing
- Oriental Painting Course: "A Structured, Practical Guide To Painting Skills And Techniques Of..."
- Memory: Histories, Theories, Debates
- Captain Absolutely: Defending Truth, Justice, And Lots More Truuuth! (Adventures In Odyssey Books)
- Graphic Design: A New History
- Rational Acoustics Smaart V7 User Guide
- Gender Space Architecture: An Interdisciplinary Introduction (Architext)