Memorializing Pearl Harbor: Unfinished Histories And The Work Of Remembrance
Memorializing Pearl Harbor: Unfinished Histories and the Work of Remembrance
Memorializing Pearl Harbor examines the challenge of representing history at the site of the attack that brought America into World War II. Analyzing moments in which history is re-presented—in commemorative events, documentary films, museum design, and educational programming—Geoffrey M. White shows that the memorial to the Pearl Harbor bombing is not a fixed or singular institution. Rather, it has become a site in which many histories are performed, validated, and challenged. In addition to valorizing military service and sacrifice, the memorial has become a place where Japanese veterans have come to seek recognition and reconciliation, where Japanese Americans have sought to correct narratives of racial mistrust, and where Native Hawaiians have challenged their ongoing erasure from their own land. Drawing on extended ethnographic fieldwork, White maps these struggles onto larger controversies about public history, museum practices, and national memory.
"As an ethnographer and historian, Geoffrey M. White is both a participant in the changing memory practices at Pearl Harbor and a keen analyst of them. Here he brings together his long involvement with the site, a deep reading of the theoretical issues related to war and...
- Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books Of History Chronicles)
- International Investment Law And The Environment (Elgar International Investment Law Series)
- No Man Knows My History: The Life Of Joseph Smith
- The Black Hand: The Story Of Rene "Boxer" Enriquez And His Life In The Mexican Mafia
- Tamarind: A Reinassance Of Lithography
- Oracle Database 11g A Beginner's Guide
- Regarding Children: A New Respect For Childhood And Families (FLPP)
- Media Industries: History, Theory, And Method
- Without Borders: Perjalanan Hidup Anak Hutan Kalimantan Menjadi Raja Properti Australia (Indonesian Edition)
- Follow Me: A Call To Die. A Call To Live.
- Beholden: The Salvation Series, Book 2
- The Rational And Social Foundations Of Music
- Seven Keys
- Don't Retire In Mexico: Here's Why
- Birds Of North Carolina
- "Steadfast Love" Two-tone Bible / Book Cover - Lamentations 3:22-23 (Large)
- Overcoming Emotions That Destroy: Practical Help For Those Angry Feelings That Ruin Relationships
- Moody Bluegrass: Nashville Tribute To Moody Blues
- The Oxford Picture Dictionary For Kids (Monolingual English Edition)