Louise Thompson Patterson: A Life Of Struggle For Justice
Louise Thompson Patterson: A Life of Struggle for Justice
Born in 1901, Louise Thompson Patterson was a leading and transformative figure in radical African American politics. Throughout most of the twentieth century she embodied a dedicated resistance to racial, economic, and gender exploitation. In this, the first biography of Patterson, Keith Gilyard tells her compelling story, from her childhood on the West Coast, where she suffered isolation and persecution, to her participation in the Harlem Renaissance and beyond. In the 1930s and 1940s she became central, along with Paul Robeson, to the labor movement, and later, in the 1950s, she steered proto-black-feminist activities. Patterson was also crucial to the efforts in the 1970s to free political prisoners, most notably Angela Davis. In the 1980s and 1990s she continued to work as a progressive activist and public intellectual. To read her story is to witness the courage, sacrifice, vision, and discipline of someone who spent decades working to achieve justice and liberation for all.
“Bravo! Another elegant, inspiring, and complex chapter in the history of black radical internationalism has been written. And not surprisingly, the brazen intellectual and organizer at the center of the story is a...
- The Autobiography Of Benvenuto Cellini (Penguin Classics)
- Bahamas Reef Creatures Identification Guide Franko Maps Laminated Fish Card 4"x6"
- Discovering Media Literacy: Teaching Digital Media And Popular Culture In Elementary School
- One Night For Love (Bedwyn Saga)
- Island Biogeography: Ecology, Evolution, And Conservation
- The Oresteia: Agamemnon; The Libation Bearers; The Eumenides
- Women And The Law Of Property In Early America (Studies In Legal History)
- Brief Principles Of Macroeconomics (Mankiw's Principles Of Economics)
- Asymmetrical Warfare: Today's Challenge To U.S. Military Power (Issues In Twenty-First Century Warfare)
- Duncan The Story Dragon
- Silane Coupling Agents
- Christianity: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
- Llewellyn's 2018 Daily Planetary Guide: Complete Astrology At-A-Glance (Llewellyn's Daily Planetary Guide)
- Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity And Generosity, Stewardship Program Guide
- Universal (Kingdome 19)
- Emigrant Wilderness Trail Map (Tom Harrison Maps)
- Blank Sheet Music : (Large Print) Blank Sheet Music Notebook - 12 Stave Manuscript Paper - Staff Paper - 104 Pages (Composition Books - Music Manuscript Notebook) Vol.1: Blank Sheet Music Notebook
- Tu Eres Mi Heroe (El Barco De Vapor: Serie Blanca / The Steamboat: White Series) (Spanish Edition)