London: Water And The Making Of The Modern City (Pittsburgh Hist Urban Environ)
London: Water and the Making of the Modern City (Pittsburgh Hist Urban Environ)
As people crowded into British cities in the nineteenth century, industrial and biological waste byproducts and then epidemic followed. Britons died by the thousands in recurring plagues. Figures like Edwin Chadwick and John Snow pleaded for measures that could save lives and preserve the social fabric.
The solution that prevailed was the novel idea that British towns must build public water supplies, replacing private companies. But the idea was not an obvious or inevitable one. Those who promoted new waterworks argued that they could use water to realize a new kind of British society—a productive social machine, a new moral community, and a modern civilization. They did not merely cite the dangers of epidemic or scarcity. Despite many debates and conflicts, this vision won out—in town after town, from Birmingham to Liverpool to Edinburgh, authorities gained new powers to execute municipal water systems.
But in London local government responded to environmental pressures with a plan intended to help remake the metropolis into a collectivist society. The Conservative national government, in turn, sought to impose a water administration over the region that would achieve its own competing political and social...
- The Reader's Book Of Mormon (seven Vol. Boxed Set)
- You'll Get Through This: Hope And Help For Your Turbulent Times
- All This And Sailing, Too: An Autobiography
- Travels In The Interior Districts Of Africa
- Diary Of A Wimpy Kid Mad Libs
- Complete Scale-studies: For The Violin...
- House Of Versace: The Untold Story Of Genius, Murder, And Survival
- Economics And Ecological Risk Assessment: Applications To Watershed Management (Environmental And Ecological Risk Assessment)
- Janet Cardiff & George Bures Miller: The Murder Of Crows
- No No Yes Yes (Leslie Patricelli Board Books)
- Understanding Crime: Essentials Of Criminological Theory
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age: Prima Collector's Edition Guide
- Going To The Source : The Bedford Reader In American History
- Personal Finance (McGraw-Hill/Irwin Series In Finance, Insurance, And Real Est)
- Uniforms Of Russian Army During The Napoleonic War Vol.5: Guard Infantry And Cavalry 1 1796-1801 (Soldiers, Weapons & Uniforms NAP) (Volume 10)
- Studies In Miscue Analysis: An Annotated Bibliography
- Stockfotografie: Mit Fotolia, Shutterstock & Co. Geld Verdienen (German Edition)
- The Christ-Myth Theory And Its Problems
- Plant Behaviour And Intelligence