London: Water And The Making Of The Modern City (Pittsburgh Hist Urban Environ)
London: Water and the Making of the Modern City (Pittsburgh Hist Urban Environ)
As people crowded into British cities in the nineteenth century, industrial and biological waste byproducts and then epidemic followed. Britons died by the thousands in recurring plagues. Figures like Edwin Chadwick and John Snow pleaded for measures that could save lives and preserve the social fabric.
The solution that prevailed was the novel idea that British towns must build public water supplies, replacing private companies. But the idea was not an obvious or inevitable one. Those who promoted new waterworks argued that they could use water to realize a new kind of British society—a productive social machine, a new moral community, and a modern civilization. They did not merely cite the dangers of epidemic or scarcity. Despite many debates and conflicts, this vision won out—in town after town, from Birmingham to Liverpool to Edinburgh, authorities gained new powers to execute municipal water systems.
But in London local government responded to environmental pressures with a plan intended to help remake the metropolis into a collectivist society. The Conservative national government, in turn, sought to impose a water administration over the region that would achieve its own competing political and social...
- Heartfelt Memorial Services:: Your Guide For Planning Meaningful Funerals, Celebrations Of Life And Times Of Remembrance
- Film Studies: The Basics
- The Future Of Drug Safety: Promoting And Protecting The Health Of The Public
- Sacred Spain: Art And Belief In The Spanish World
- Egyptian Notebook Collection: Royal Priest, Journal/Diary, Wide Ruled, 100 Pages, 8.5 X 11, (Egyptian Art)
- Lizzy And Jane
- Any Time, Any Place (The Billionaire Builders)
- Intellectual Property, Trade And Development
- The CNC Cookbook: An Introduction To The Creation And Operation Of Computer Controlled Mills, Router Tables, Lathes, And More
- The Haunted Doll's House And Other Ghost Stories (The Complete Ghost Stories Of M.R. James, Vol. 2)
- Echo's Subtle Body: Contributions To An Archetypal Psychology, Second Revised And Expanded Edition
- Collins French Concise, 5th Edition (Collins Language)
- Rumble Volume 2: A Woe That Is Madness
- Doodling For Bookworms: 50 Inspiring Doodle Prompts And Creative Exercises For Literature Buffs
- 100 Suns
- University Politics: F.M. Cornford's Cambridge And His Advice To The Young Academic Politician
- WARHOL ON WARHOL
- It's Your World: Get Informed, Get Inspired & Get Going!