London: Water And The Making Of The Modern City (Pittsburgh Hist Urban Environ)
London: Water and the Making of the Modern City (Pittsburgh Hist Urban Environ)
As people crowded into British cities in the nineteenth century, industrial and biological waste byproducts and then epidemic followed. Britons died by the thousands in recurring plagues. Figures like Edwin Chadwick and John Snow pleaded for measures that could save lives and preserve the social fabric.
The solution that prevailed was the novel idea that British towns must build public water supplies, replacing private companies. But the idea was not an obvious or inevitable one. Those who promoted new waterworks argued that they could use water to realize a new kind of British society—a productive social machine, a new moral community, and a modern civilization. They did not merely cite the dangers of epidemic or scarcity. Despite many debates and conflicts, this vision won out—in town after town, from Birmingham to Liverpool to Edinburgh, authorities gained new powers to execute municipal water systems.
But in London local government responded to environmental pressures with a plan intended to help remake the metropolis into a collectivist society. The Conservative national government, in turn, sought to impose a water administration over the region that would achieve its own competing political and social...
- Language And Gender: A Reader, 2nd Edition
- Coming Home To Myself: A Memoir
- 3D Pen Jewelry: 20+ Modern Projects To Make
- Gedi Sibony
- Mindsight: The New Science Of Personal Transformation
- Dental Assisting Exam
- 101 Ways To Transform Your Life
- Deluxe Guitar Chord Encyclopedia, Case-size
- The Coenzyme Q10 Phenomenon
- Clemson Crowned: The Tigers' Historic Run To The National Championship
- When Darkness Comes (Guardians Of Eternity)
- Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program To Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--and Won't Let You Fail
- Don't Suck, Don't Die: Giving Up Vic Chesnutt (American Music)
- AVANTI: BEGINNING ITALIAN
- Two Souls Indivisible
- La Primera Guerra Mundial Contada Para Escépticos
- The Creative Spirit: An Introduction To Theatre
- NIV Bible For Teen Guys, Hardcover: Building Faith, Wisdom And Strength
- Uneasy Rider: Travels Through A Mid-Life Crisis