Medicine And Politics In Colonial Peru: Population Growth And The Bourbon Reforms (Pitt Latin American Series)
Medicine and Politics in Colonial Peru: Population Growth and the Bourbon Reforms (Pitt Latin American Series)
By the end of the eighteenth century, Peru had witnessed the decline of its once-thriving silver industry, and it had barely begun to recover from massive population losses due to smallpox and other diseases. At the time, it was widely believed that economic salvation was contingent upon increasing the labor force and maintaining as many healthy workers as possible. In Medicine and Politics in Colonial Peru,Adam Warrenpresents a groundbreaking study of the primacy placed on medical care to generate population growth during this era.
The Bourbon reforms of the eighteenth century shaped many of the political, economic, and social interests of Spain and its colonies. In Peru, local elites saw the reforms as an opportunity to positively transform society and its conceptions of medicine and medical institutions in the name of the Crown. Creole physicians in particular, took advantage of Bourbon reforms to wrest control of medical treatment away from the Catholic Church, establish their own medical expertise, and create a new, secular medical culture. They asserted their new influence by treating smallpox and leprosy, by reforming medical education, and by introducing hygienic routines into...
- Ewa Lajer-Burcharth: Chardin Material
- The Adventures Of An Illustrator: The Making Of The Book Together With Works In Oils, Watercolors, Etching, Lithography, By The Artist Shown At The Anderson Galleries December Four To Twenty 1925
- Elementary Method For The Balalaika
- 150 YEARS OF ARTISTS' LITHOGRAPHS, 1803-1953; LITHOGRAPHY IN ENGLAND (1801-1810). (SIGNED).
- Toughest Cowboy In Texas: A Western Romance (Happy, Texas)
- Against The Tide
- The Good Tarot: A 78-Card Deck And Guidebook
- Parris Island Daze: My Drill Instructor Was Tougher Than Yours
- Precalculus (8th Edition)
- My Blue Heaven: Life And Politics In The Working-Class Suburbs Of Los Angeles, 1920-1965 (Historical Studies Of Urban America)
- American Jewish Year Book 2014: The Annual Record Of The North American Jewish Communities
- Ukrainian Recipes
- Redeeming "The Prince": The Meaning Of Machiavelli's Masterpiece
- Bible Study That Works
- The Year Of The French
- The Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology - Volume 2: Soprano Accompaniment CDs (Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology (Accompaniment))
- Sex, Art, And American Culture: Essays
- Who Rules America? The Triumph Of The Corporate Rich (B&B Sociology)
- The Complete Idiot's Guide To Chess, Third Edition
- The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy)