The Boundaries Of Judaism (The Robert And Arlene Kogod Library Of Judaic Studies)
The Boundaries of Judaism (The Robert and Arlene Kogod Library of Judaic Studies)
The factionalism and denominationalism of modern Jewry makes it supremely difficult to create a definition of the Jewish people. Instead of serving as a uniting force around which community is formed, Judaism has itself become a source of divisions. Consequently, attempts to identify beliefs or practices essential for membership in the Jewish people are almost doomed to failure.Aiming to take readers beyond the divisions that characterize modern Jewry, this book explores the ever contentious question of "who is a Jew." Through a historical survey of the shifting boundaries of Jewish identity and deviance over time, the book provides new insights into how Jewish law over the centuries has erected boundaries to govern and maintain the collective identity of the Jewish people. Drawing on these historical strategies the book identifies the causes and reasons that underlie them, and employs these in order to help construct a guide for creating a structure of boundaries relevant for contemporary Jewish existence.
'With great learning and high intelligence, Donniel Hartman wrestles with the hardest questions about Jewish identity: Whose identity is this? Who is a Jew? He gives...
- The Christmas Owl
- The Debt
- Addicted To Hurry: Spiritual Strategies For Slowing Down
- Dialogues And Essays (Oxford World's Classics)
- Kimono: A Modern History
- Henry And Mudge And The Best Day Of All Ready To Read Level 2 English Edition
- Poets On The Peaks: Gary Snyder, Philip Whalen & Jack Kerouac In The Cascades
- Así Es Como La Pierdes: Relatos (Spanish Edition)
- Coaching And Mentoring: Practical Conversations To Improve Learning
- The Sport And Society Reader
- Thoughts About Art.
- WHY MEN MARRY BITCHES: EXPANDED NEW EDITION - A Guide For Women Who Are Too Nice
- My Health: An Outcomes Approach
- Fast Facts For Evidence-Based Practice In Nursing, Second Edition: Implementing EBP In A Nutshell
- AutoCAD 2015 And AutoCAD LT 2015 Bible
- Airbrushing (Artist's Library Series #09)
- Thurgood Marshall: American Revolutionary
- One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles)
- Goodnight Jim Bob: On The Road With Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine