William Trost Richards: True To Nature: Drawings, Watercolors And Oil Sketches
William Trost Richards: True To Nature: Drawings, Watercolors and Oil Sketches
William Trost Richards (1833-1905) began his career as an artist of the Hudson River School. His meticulous studies of plants growing along the Hudson together with his drawings and watercolors of the Adirondacks, the Catskills, and his native Pennsylvania reveal a sensibility devoted to the close observation of nature. In the 1870s, however, when grand-scale landscape painting was going out of fashion, Richards turned to the watercolor medium and marine subjects, such as scenes of surf rolling on the New England coast. The artist is celebrated in this catalogue reproducing 230 works in pencil, watercolor, charcoal, and an essay by Carol Osborne, curator at the time the works were given to the Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts, places these works in the context of the artist's life.
About the Author
Carol M. Osborne was associate director and chief curator of the Stanford University Museum of Art (now the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts) from 1978 to 1993. Her doctoral thesis Pierre Didot the Elder and French Book Illustration, 1789-1820 was published by Garland (1986). Among her other publications...
- Acrylic School (Learn As You Go)
- IPhone 6 User's Manual: Tips & Tricks To Unleash The Power Of Your Smartphone!
- Atlas Of Dermatopathology: Practical Differential Diagnosis By Clinicopathologic Pattern
- A Cultural History Of Animals In The Modern Age (The Cultural Histories Series)
- From Human Trafficking To Human Rights: Reframing Contemporary Slavery (Pennsylvania Studies In Human Rights)
- Daily Trait Warm-Ups: 180 Revision And Editing Activities To Kick Off Writing Time
- CONSUMER MATHEMATICS STUDENT TEXT
- Playing Against The House: The Dramatic World Of An Undercover Union Organizer
- Documentary: A History Of The Non-Fiction Film
- The One Man
- 365 Simple Science Experiments With Everyday Materials
- America's Courts And The Criminal Justice System
- Her Daughter's Dream (Marta's Legacy)
- Interest Rate Models - Theory And Practice: With Smile, Inflation And Credit (Springer Finance)
- The Teacher's Guide To Success (2nd Edition)
- EARTHWORK OUT Of TUSCANY Being Impressions And Translations Of Maurice Hewlett.
- Handbook On Spanish Employment Law
- Eating Less: Say Goodbye To Overeating
- The Love Song Of Miss Queenie Hennessy: A Novel
- Duel In The Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, And America's Greatest Marathon