Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food In Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series)
Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series)
The decline of cheap oil is inspiring increasing numbers of North Americans to achieve some measure of backyard food self-sufficiency. In hard times, the family can be greatly helped by growing a highly productive food garden, requiring little cash outlay or watering.
Currently popular intensive vegetable gardening methods are largely inappropriate to this new circumstance. Crowded raised beds require high inputs of water, fertility and organic matter, and demand large amounts of human time and effort. But, except for labor, these inputs depend on the price of oil. Prior to the 1970s, North American home food growing used more land with less labor, with wider plant spacing, with less or no irrigation, and all done with sharp hand tools. But these sustainable systems have been largely forgotten. Gardening When It Counts helps readers rediscover traditional low-input gardening methods to produce healthy food.
Designed for readers with no experience and applicable to most areas in the English-speaking world except the tropics and hot deserts, this book shows that any family with access to 3-5,000 sq. ft. of garden land can halve their food costs using a growing system...
- Shackleton's Boat Journey
- Chopin: The Ultimate Piano Collection (Schirmer's Library Of Musical Classics)
- INSTRUMENTAL POSTER SERIES - Trumpet
- Three Sisters, Three Queens
- Blues Rock: Guitar Play-Along Volume 14 (Guitar Play-Along, 14) Bk/Online Audio (Hal Leonard Guitar Play-Along)
- How To Draw Shoujo Manga Characters : Purple Manga Edition 9 (Book 2): How To Draw Shojo Manga Boys & Anime Girls Step By Step (Drawing Brothers Conflict Shojo Japanese Manga) (Volume 2)
- Functional Soft Tissue Examination And Treatment By Manual Methods: New Perspectives
- The Infinite Plan: A Novel
- 100 Explorers Who Shaped World History (100 Series)
- GED Secrets Study Guide: GED Exam Review For The General Educational Development Tests (Mometrix Secrets Study Guides)
- Preventing Litigation In Special Education Workbook
- David Hockney: A Bigger Picture
- Mandala Coloring Book: Coloring Books For Adults : Stress Relieving Patterns (Mandala Coloring Books For Adults) (Volume 24)
- Babes In Toyland: The Making And Selling Of A Rock And Roll Band
- The Reunited States Of America: How We Can Bridge The Partisan Divide
- The Decree To Restore Jerusalem: Premium Edition Printed Spine (He's Alive! Recognize The First & Second Coming)
- A Big Day For Baseball (Magic Tree House (R))
- The Lotus Sutra
- No Sweetness Here And Other Stories