Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food In Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series)
Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series)
The decline of cheap oil is inspiring increasing numbers of North Americans to achieve some measure of backyard food self-sufficiency. In hard times, the family can be greatly helped by growing a highly productive food garden, requiring little cash outlay or watering.
Currently popular intensive vegetable gardening methods are largely inappropriate to this new circumstance. Crowded raised beds require high inputs of water, fertility and organic matter, and demand large amounts of human time and effort. But, except for labor, these inputs depend on the price of oil. Prior to the 1970s, North American home food growing used more land with less labor, with wider plant spacing, with less or no irrigation, and all done with sharp hand tools. But these sustainable systems have been largely forgotten. Gardening When It Counts helps readers rediscover traditional low-input gardening methods to produce healthy food.
Designed for readers with no experience and applicable to most areas in the English-speaking world except the tropics and hot deserts, this book shows that any family with access to 3-5,000 sq. ft. of garden land can halve their food costs using a growing system...
- When Everything Feels Like The Movies (Governor General's Literary Award Winner, Children's Literature)
- Dot Grid Composition Notebook: Dot Grid Notebook 8 X 10 120 Pages Student Composition Book For School
- The Bounty: The True Story Of The Mutiny On The Bounty
- Play With Blue (Penguin Young Readers, Level 1)
- Damnation (Theirs Not To Reason Why)
- The Soul Of Blues, Stride & Swing Piano
- A Brush With Birds: Australian Bird Art From The National Library Of Australia
- Practical Sight Reading Exercises For Piano Students, Books 7, 8, 9: French, English Language Edition (English And French Edition)
- Hope Unfolding: Grace-Filled Truth For The Momma's Heart
- Pie School: Lessons In Fruit, Flour & Butter
- The Artist At Work: On The Working Methods Of William Coldstream And Michael Andrews
- Bringing Lent Home With St. John Paul II: Prayers, Reflections, And Activities For Families
- Driven With The Wind (Cheney Duvall, M.D. (Paperback))
- Side By Side Plus 1 Book & EText With CD
- B.B. King - Blues Legend: A Step-by-Step Breakdown Of His Guitar Styles And Techniques (Guitar Signature Licks)
- The Real Book For Beginning Elementary Band Students (Trombone): Seventy Famous Songs Using Just Six Notes
- The Resilience Dividend: Being Strong In A World Where Things Go Wrong
- Poverty/Privilege: A Reader For Writers
- Psychology, 11th Edition