Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food In Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series)
Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series)
The decline of cheap oil is inspiring increasing numbers of North Americans to achieve some measure of backyard food self-sufficiency. In hard times, the family can be greatly helped by growing a highly productive food garden, requiring little cash outlay or watering.
Currently popular intensive vegetable gardening methods are largely inappropriate to this new circumstance. Crowded raised beds require high inputs of water, fertility and organic matter, and demand large amounts of human time and effort. But, except for labor, these inputs depend on the price of oil. Prior to the 1970s, North American home food growing used more land with less labor, with wider plant spacing, with less or no irrigation, and all done with sharp hand tools. But these sustainable systems have been largely forgotten. Gardening When It Counts helps readers rediscover traditional low-input gardening methods to produce healthy food.
Designed for readers with no experience and applicable to most areas in the English-speaking world except the tropics and hot deserts, this book shows that any family with access to 3-5,000 sq. ft. of garden land can halve their food costs using a growing system...
- 101 Jumbo 3D Sudoku Volume 2
- Toscanini: Musician Of Conscience
- Analysing Sociolinguistic Variation (Key Topics In Sociolinguistics)
- The Stranger On The Road To Emmaus: Who Was The Man? What Was The Message?
- Essentials Of Nursing Leadership & Management (Whitehead, Essentials Of Nursing Leadership And Management)
- Bob Miller: Always Working
- Brecht Collected Plays: 6: Good Person Of Szechwan; The Resistible Rise Of Arturo Ui; Mr Puntila And His Man Matti (World Classics)
- American History Now (Critical Perspectives On The P)
- Comfort Food: Rachael Ray Top 30 30-Minute Meals
- Let The People In: The Life And Times Of Ann Richards
- The Steel Bonnets: The Story Of The Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers
- Future Beauty: 30 Years Of Japanese Fashion
- Essence With The Elixir Of Enlightenment: The Diamond Approach To Inner Realization
- Nature Designs Stained Glass Pattern Book (Dover Stained Glass Instruction)
- NCLEX-RN Practice Questions Exam Cram (5th Edition)
- AA Street By Street: Portsmouth
- Turfgrass Soil Fertility & Chemical Problems: Assessment And Management
- Silk Vol. 1: Sinister
- Glen E. Friedman: My Rules