Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food In Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series)
Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series)
The decline of cheap oil is inspiring increasing numbers of North Americans to achieve some measure of backyard food self-sufficiency. In hard times, the family can be greatly helped by growing a highly productive food garden, requiring little cash outlay or watering.
Currently popular intensive vegetable gardening methods are largely inappropriate to this new circumstance. Crowded raised beds require high inputs of water, fertility and organic matter, and demand large amounts of human time and effort. But, except for labor, these inputs depend on the price of oil. Prior to the 1970s, North American home food growing used more land with less labor, with wider plant spacing, with less or no irrigation, and all done with sharp hand tools. But these sustainable systems have been largely forgotten. Gardening When It Counts helps readers rediscover traditional low-input gardening methods to produce healthy food.
Designed for readers with no experience and applicable to most areas in the English-speaking world except the tropics and hot deserts, this book shows that any family with access to 3-5,000 sq. ft. of garden land can halve their food costs using a growing system...
- Selected Folktales/Ausgewählte Märchen: A Dual-Language Book (Dover Dual Language German)
- Daoist Nei Gong: The Philosophical Art Of Change
- Danny And The Dinosaur And The Girl Next Door (I Can Read Level 1)
- Beginner's Guide To Sketching: Characters, Creatures And Concepts
- The Blessing Of A B Minus: Using Jewish Teachings To Raise Resilient Teenagers
- Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements Of Fiction Writing)
- Blues Improvisation Complete (Eb)
- The Marquise Of O And Other Stories (Penguin Classics)
- REVEL For Society: The Basics -- Access Card (14th Edition)
- Lighting For Digital Video & Television
- M/E/A/N/I/N/G: An Anthology Of Artists’ Writings, Theory, And Criticism
- The Contest: A Stepper's Dream Or Nightmare
- Population Geography: Tools And Issues
- New Essential Steiner: An Introduction To Rudolf Steiner For The 21st Century
- Everyone's Best Friend At Playboy
- Circular And Linear Regression: Fitting Circles And Lines By Least Squares (Chapman & Hall/CRC Monographs On Statistics & Applied Probability)
- Palliative Care Nursing, Fourth Edition: Quality Care To The End Of Life
- Why Don't Cats Like To Swim?: An Imponderables Book (Imponderables Series)
- Honrarás A Tu Padre