The Five Stages Of Collapse: Survivors' Toolkit
The Five Stages of Collapse: Survivors' Toolkit
In the face of political impotence, resource depletion, and catastrophic climate change, many of us have become reconciled to an uncertain future. However, popular perception of how this future might actually unfold varies wildly from "a severe and prolonged recession," to James Howard Kunstler's "long emergency," to the complete breakdown of civilization. In The Five Stages of Collapse, Dmitry Orlov posits a taxonomy of collapse, offering a surprisingly optimistic perspective on surviving the sweeping changes of the day with health and sanity intact.
Arguing that it is during periods of disruption and extreme uncertainty that broad cultural change becomes possible, Orlov steers the reader through the challenges of financial, commercial, and political collapse. He suggests that if the first three stages are met with the appropriate responses, further breakdown may be arrested before the extremes of social and cultural collapse are reached.
Drawing on a detailed examination of post-collapse societies, including the Somali people of Africa, the Pashtuns of Afghanistan, the Roma of Central and Eastern Europe, and even the Russian mafia, The Five Stages of Collapse describes successful adaptations in areas such as finance, self-governance, and social and cultural organization. These fascinating case studies...
- The Body Book (The Lily Series)
- The Outcasts: Brotherband Chronicles, Book 1 (The Brotherband Chronicles)
- Dictionary Of Biblical Imagery
- How We Live Now: Redefining Home And Family In The 21st Century
- Blood And Ink: An International Guide To Fact-Based Crime Literature
- The Oxford Handbook Of Genocide Studies (Oxford Handbooks)
- That's Enough Folks
- CONNECTED MATHEMATICS 3 STUDENT EDITION GRADE 8: THINKING WITH MATHEMATICAL MODELS: LINEAR AND INVERSE VARIATION COPYRIGHT 2014
- Tactical Media (Electronic Mediations)
- High Performance Python: Practical Performant Programming For Humans
- The Girl With The Brown Crayon: How Childen Use Stories To Shape Their Lives
- Landscapes In Oils (Collins Learn To Paint Series)
- Sense Of Deception (Psychic Eye Mystery)
- Follow Carl!
- Maximum Security (CHERUB)
- One Show Interactive, Volume XI: Advertising's Best Interactive And New Media
- Klee (Masters Of Art)
- Dictionary Of Cliches: If You Wonder About The Origins Of All Those Old Saws--from First Blush To Bite The Dust--You'll Find This Book The Cat's Meow!
- Rock Art And The Prehistory Of Atlantic Europe: Signing The Land