The Five Stages Of Collapse: Survivors' Toolkit
The Five Stages of Collapse: Survivors' Toolkit
In the face of political impotence, resource depletion, and catastrophic climate change, many of us have become reconciled to an uncertain future. However, popular perception of how this future might actually unfold varies wildly from "a severe and prolonged recession," to James Howard Kunstler's "long emergency," to the complete breakdown of civilization. In The Five Stages of Collapse, Dmitry Orlov posits a taxonomy of collapse, offering a surprisingly optimistic perspective on surviving the sweeping changes of the day with health and sanity intact.
Arguing that it is during periods of disruption and extreme uncertainty that broad cultural change becomes possible, Orlov steers the reader through the challenges of financial, commercial, and political collapse. He suggests that if the first three stages are met with the appropriate responses, further breakdown may be arrested before the extremes of social and cultural collapse are reached.
Drawing on a detailed examination of post-collapse societies, including the Somali people of Africa, the Pashtuns of Afghanistan, the Roma of Central and Eastern Europe, and even the Russian mafia, The Five Stages of Collapse describes successful adaptations in areas such as finance, self-governance, and social and cultural organization. These fascinating case studies...
- Advanced Linear Algebra (Graduate Texts In Mathematics, Vol. 135)
- IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio: Practical Examples
- In The Aftermath Of Art: Ethics, Aesthetics, Politics (Critical Voices In Art, Theory And Culture)
- Nude Body Nude
- Good Jobs, Bad Jobs: The Rise Of Polarized And Precarious Employment Systems In The United States 1970s To 2000s (American Sociological Association's ... Rose Series In Sociology (Paperback))
- America Pacifica: A Novel
- Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Edition
- The Blues: A Very Short Introduction
- The Eleventh Commandment
- Heat And Light: Advice For The Next Generation Of Journalists
- Olive Trees And Honey: A Treasury Of Vegetarian Recipes From Jewish Communities Around The World
- 'Trifles' And 'A Jury Of Her Peers'
- Breaking Free Of OCD: My Battle With Mental Pain And How God Rescued Me
- A Thousand Nights
- John Christian Bach - Mozart's Friend And Mentor
- Johnny U: The Life And Times Of John Unitas
- Alfred's Basic Piano Course Lesson Book, Bk 5 By Willard A. Palmer (Jun 1 1983)
- Fraud In Accounts Payable: How To Prevent It
- The Pencil
- The Lost Lions