Milwaukee In The 1930s: A Federal Writers Project City Guide
Milwaukee in the 1930s: A Federal Writers Project City Guide
What would it be like to take an intensive tour of Milwaukee as it was during the late 1930s—at the confluence of the Great Depression, the New Deal, and the run-up to World War II? That is precisely what the participants in the Federal Writers Project did while researching their Guide to Milwaukee. The fruits of their labors were ready for publication by 1940, but for a number of reasons the finished product never saw the light of day—until now.
Fortunately, the manuscript has been carefully preserved in the Wisconsin Historical Society Archives
. Seventy-five years after the work’s completion, the Wisconsin Historical Society Press and historian John D. Buenker present this guide—now serving as a time machine, ready to transport readers back to the Milwaukee of the 1930s, neighborhood by neighborhood, building by building. Much more than a nostalgic snapshot, the book examines Milwaukee’s history from its earliest days to 1940.
Buenker’s thoughtful introduction provides historical context, detailing the FWP’s development of this guide, as well as Milwaukee’s political climate leading up to, and during, the 1930s. Next, essays on thirteen "areas," ranging from Civic Center to Bay View, delve deeper...
- I Am More Than A Daydream
- Then (Once Series)
- How 11: A Handbook For Office Professionals (Handbook For Office Workers)
- Media Ethics At Work: True Stories From Young Professionals
- They Were Single Too: 8 Biblical Role Models
- The Detour
- The Cure For HIV And AIDS
- Soul Survivor: My Story
- The Nutcracker (Little Golden Book)
- Headlong Flight (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
- Hello Holy Spirit: God's Gift Of Live-in Help
- The Sacred Search: What If It's Not About Who You Marry, But Why?
- This Side Of Murder (A Verity Kent Mystery)
- The Institutes, Translated And Annotated By Boniface Ramsey
- Effective UI: The Art Of Building Great User Experience In Software
- The Buddha And The Terrorist
- Detroit's Historic Places Of Worship (Painted Turtle)
- Minnie Mouse Mini Wall Calendar (2018)
- Spessi: Location
- The Can't Cook Book: Recipes For The Absolutely Terrified!