Milwaukee In The 1930s: A Federal Writers Project City Guide
Milwaukee in the 1930s: A Federal Writers Project City Guide
What would it be like to take an intensive tour of Milwaukee as it was during the late 1930s—at the confluence of the Great Depression, the New Deal, and the run-up to World War II? That is precisely what the participants in the Federal Writers Project did while researching their Guide to Milwaukee. The fruits of their labors were ready for publication by 1940, but for a number of reasons the finished product never saw the light of day—until now.
Fortunately, the manuscript has been carefully preserved in the Wisconsin Historical Society Archives
. Seventy-five years after the work’s completion, the Wisconsin Historical Society Press and historian John D. Buenker present this guide—now serving as a time machine, ready to transport readers back to the Milwaukee of the 1930s, neighborhood by neighborhood, building by building. Much more than a nostalgic snapshot, the book examines Milwaukee’s history from its earliest days to 1940.
Buenker’s thoughtful introduction provides historical context, detailing the FWP’s development of this guide, as well as Milwaukee’s political climate leading up to, and during, the 1930s. Next, essays on thirteen "areas," ranging from Civic Center to Bay View, delve deeper...
- Jamie Hewlett
- British Napoleonic Artillery 1793–1815 (1): Field Artillery (New Vanguard)
- Administrative Topics In Athletic Training: Concepts To Practice
- The Youngs: The Brothers Who Built AC/DC
- Finis Gloria E Mundi (Spanish Edition)
- The Universe In A Nutshell
- El Mundo De Lovely Pepa (Spanish Edition)
- New Testament Words For Today: 100 Devotional Reflections
- Emotional Intelligence: 10th Anniversary Edition; Why It Can Matter More Than IQ
- The Journey That Saved Curious George : The True Wartime Escape Of Margret And H.A. Rey
- The Indigenous People Of The Caribbean (Florida Museum Of Natural History: Ripley P. Bullen Series)
- Dictionary Of Mathematics Terms (Barron's Professional Guides)
- Learn To Knit On Circle Looms
- Math In Focus: The Singapore Approach, Level 5A, Enrichment
- Technology In The Law Office (4th Edition)
- For Magicians Only: Milk Pitcher Magic
- Employee Engagement - Lessons From The Mouse House!
- Practical Applications: Afro-Caribbean Rhythms For The Drum Set (Spanish, English Language Edition), Book & 2 CDs (English And Spanish Edition)
- The 7 Power Principles For Success
- The Complete Book Of Dragons: A Guide To Dragon Species (How To Train Your Dragon)