Lola Montez: The California Adventures Of Europe's Notorious Courtesan
Lola Montez: The California Adventures of Europe's Notorious Courtesan
This is the remarkable biography of that one woman whose California story has become legend.
The California Gold Rush had just passed it's peak-and so had the thirty-five year old Irish-woman when she first appeared in San Francisco. But Lola Montez still had great appeal; she retained a surfeit of overwhelming beauty, a cocky spirit and a quick wit, and she was well-known in the world at large for the distinguished male scalps she had collected, and for her scandalous antics all across Europe.
San Francisco, Sacramento, Marysville and Grass Valley played host to her temper, wit and grace, and received in the bargain a mine of gossip and scandal for their press. Lola ran her course through California's theatre circuit, always maintaining an air of importance and inviting passionate, if mixed, reviews. Quickly known, her path crossed with Alonzo Delano, John Sutter, John Southwick, Dr. David Gorman ("Yankee") Robinson, Gilmore Meredith, and others.
The few years Lola spent in northern California engendered a whole host of stories to which the passing of time has lent widespread credence. Some say that she came as the principal stockholder of Grass Valley's famous Empire Mine, and...
- DVD Lynn Koolish Teaches You Printing On Fabric At Home With The Experts #9
- Data Structures And Algorithms In Java
- Mental Math, Grade 4: Strategies And Process Skills To Develop Mental Calculation (Singapore Math)
- Pehistoria 1, La - Paleolitico Y Neolitico (Spanish Edition)
- Robert Schultz Drawings, 1990-2007
- Ancient Rome: A Military And Political History
- Obstetricia Y Ginecología. Guía De Actuación (Spanish Edition)
- Thirty Chic Days: Practical Inspiration For A Beautiful Life
- The HDR Book: Unlocking The Pros' Hottest Post-Processing Techniques (2nd Edition)
- New Worlds, New Animals: From Menagerie To Zoological Park In The Nineteenth Century
- Basic Brawling Techniques: Being An Exploration And Explication Of A Most Excellent And Manly Form Of Close-contact Choreography (Ballarino Perfetto)
- Serving Boys Through Readers Advisory (ALA Readers' Advisory)
- Troublesome Young Men: The Rebels Who Brought Churchill To Power And Helped Save England
- Communicating With Credibility And Confidence, 3rd Edition
- Curveball #9 (Winning Season)
- The Cheap Bastard's® Guide To Los Angeles: Secrets Of Living The Good Life--For Less!
- Haskell High Performance Programming
- How To Lie With Statistics
- John Denver's Ancient Rhymes: A Dolphin Lullaby (Audio CD Included) (John Denver & Kids Series)
- Word Families Flash Cards