Engaging Cultural Differences: The Multicultural Challenge In Liberal Democracies
Engaging Cultural Differences: The Multicultural Challenge in Liberal Democracies
Liberal democracies are based on principles of inclusion and tolerance. But how does the principle of tolerance work in practice in countries such as Germany, France, India, South Africa, and the United States, where an increasingly wide range of cultural groups holds often contradictory beliefs about appropriate social and family life practices? As these democracies expand to include peoples of vastly different cultural backgrounds, the limits of tolerance are being tested as never before. Engaging Cultural Differences explores how liberal democracies respond socially and legally to differences in the cultural and religious practices of their minority groups.
Building on such examples, the contributors examine the role of tolerance in practical encounters between state officials and immigrants, and between members of longstanding majority groups and increasing numbers of minority groups. The volume also considers the theoretical implications of expanding the realm of tolerance. Some contributors are reluctant to broaden the scope of tolerance, while others insist that the notion of "tolerance" is itself potentially confining and demeaning and that modern nations should aspire to celebrate cultural differences.
Coming to terms with ethnic diversity and cultural differences has become a major public policy concern in...
- Never Be Closing: How To Sell Better Without Screwing Your Clients, Your Colleagues, Or Yourself
- Enciclopedia De Tecnicas De Escultura
- Recording Tips For Engineers: For Cleaner, Brighter Tracks (Mastering Music)
- Get Their Name: Grow Your Church By Building New Relationships
- New Vintage Type: Classic Fonts For The Digital Age (Paperback) - Common
- Dance Notation
- The Middle Kingdom Ride: Two Brothers, Two Motorcycles, One Epic Journey Around China
- The Official Shaun The Sheep 2011 Slim Calendar
- Get Plucky With The Ukulele: A Quick And Easy Guide To All Things Uke
- Rosalyn Drexler: Who Does She Think She Is?
- Modern Architecture Since 1900
- The B2B Executive Playbook: The Ultimate Weapon For Achieving Sustainable, Predictable And Profitable Growth
- Leading A Learning Organization: The Science Of Working With Others
- As Texas Goes...: How The Lone Star State Hijacked The American Agenda
- Days: A Tangier Diary
- The Gentle Subversive: Rachel Carson, Silent Spring, And The Rise Of The Environmental Movement (New Narratives In American History)
- Word-by-Word Translations Of Songs And Arias, Part II - Italian; A Companion To The Singer's Repertoire
- A Plain And Simple Heart (The Amish Of Apple Grove)
- This Is What A Librarian Looks Like: A Celebration Of Libraries, Communities, And Access To Information