Sunjata: A West African Epic Of The Mande Peoples
Sunjata: A West African Epic of the Mande Peoples
A pillar of the West African oral tradition for centuries, this epic traces the adventures and achievements of the Mande hero, Sunjata, as he liberates his people from Sumaworo Kante, the sorcerer king of Soso, and establishes the great medieval empire of Mali.
David Conrad conveys the strong narrative thrust of the Sunjata epic in his presentation of substantial excerpts from his translation of a performance by Djanka Tassey Conde. Readers approaching the epic for the first time will appreciate the translation's highly readable, poetic English as well as Conrad's informative Introduction and notes. Scholars will find the familiar heroes and heroines taking on new dimensions, secondary characters gaining increased prominence, and previously unknown figures emerging from obscurity.
Thanks to his careful editing and translating of Condé's narrative, Conrad offers a highly readable version of the epic that is about a third of its original length. The translation communicates not only the poetic qualities and the essential events of the Sunjata legend but also the master bard's performance values. Thus, this rendering will fascinate those who already know the story and culture and those coming to the epic...
- Adult Coloring Book: Adult Cuss Word Alternatives: 50 Original Swear Word Designs (Adult Coloring Books) (Volume 2)
- Dear Daughter: A Novel
- The Perfect Match (The Blue Heron Series)
- Tradeoff Decisions In System Design
- Intensive Care: More Poetry And Prose By Nurses
- Adam Of The Road (Puffin Modern Classics)
- Retro Paris: The Way We Were
- Carrying The Word: The Concheros Dance In Mexico City (Mesoamerican Worlds)
- Crossroads (Urban Christian)
- Making We The People: Democratic Constitutional Founding In Postwar Japan And South Korea (Comparative Constitutional Law And Policy)
- NIV Beautiful Word Bible For Girls, Hardcover, Sunburst: 500 Full-Color Illustrated Verses
- Guardian Of The Magic Illusion Border Yuki Tan ?? (Kadokawa Bunko - Sneaker Bunko) (1993) ISBN: 4044122040 [Japanese Import]
- American Indian Sovereignty And Law: An Annotated Bibliography (Native American Bibliography Series)
- The Contemporary Christian Music Debate: Worldly Compromise Or Agent Of Renewal?
- Naughty Animals: A Swear Word Coloring Book With Adorable Animals Saying Horrible Things
- Stories Of Women
- Super Mario Bros.™ 2018 Wall Calendar (retro Art): Art From The Original Game
- Rebel (The Starbuck Chronicles #1)
- Matthew: A Commentary On The Gospel According To Matthew (New Testament Commentaries (Gospel Advocate))
- Systemic Interventions For Collective And National Trauma: Theory, Practice, And Evaluation