On To The Next Dream
On to the Next Dream
Paul Madonna's popular comic, "All Over Coffee" had been running for twelve years in the San Francisco Chronicle when he was evicted from his longtime home and studio in the Mission District, ground-zero in the “tech wars” transforming the city. Suddenly finding himself yet another victim of San Francisco’s overheated boomtown housing market, with its soaring prices and rampant evictions, Madonna decided to use his comic as a cathartic public platform to explore the experience, and to capture the complex, highly charged atmosphere of a city—and a life—being forced through a painful transition.
In a series of drawings and stories, Madonna evokes the sense of vertigo induced by being forced from his home, and the roil of emotions that ensue as he enters into the city’s brutal competition for a place to live. The line between reality and surreality begins to blur almost immediately, in real life and in his comic. Absurd, maddening, and all-too-poignant, these drawings and stories capture the spirit of not just San Francisco, but a cultural epidemic that has now spread to cities around the world.
"For years I've been intrigued and charmed by Paul Madonna’s careful and thoughtful drawings...
- Intellectual Freedom Manual, Ninth Edition
- Bright Earth: Art And The Invention Of Color
- The Five Rules For Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide To Building Wealth And Winning In The Market
- The Hallo-Weiner
- Draw Your Own Manga: All The Basics (Draw Your Own Manga Series)
- Experiencing Race, Class, And Gender In The United States
- Inductive Logic Programming: 10th International Conference, ILP 2000, London, UK, July 24-27, 2000 Proceedings (Lecture Notes In Computer Science)
- Historical Fiction: A Guide To The Genre (Genreflecting Advisory Series)
- AMC Map: Crawford Notch-Sandwich Range And Moosilauke-Kinsman: White Mountains Trail Map
- Red Dot Design Yearbook
- Requiem Of The Rose King, Vol. 7
- The Place Of Dead Roads: A Novel
- Astronomy Today (7th Edition)
- The Economic Vote: How Political And Economic Institutions Condition Election Results (Political Economy Of Institutions And Decisions)
- All-New Ultimates Volume 2: No Gods, No Monsters
- Writers ARE Readers: Flipping Reading Instruction Into Writing Opportunities
- Soul Feast : An Invitation To The Christian Spiritual Life
- Introductory Chemistry: An Active Learning Approach
- There's An Opossum In My Backyard