Memoirs Of A Soldier, Nurse, And Spy: A Woman's Adventures In The Union Army
Memoirs of a Soldier, Nurse, and Spy: A Woman's Adventures in the Union Army
Among the hundreds of women who, in disguise, enlisted to serve as men during the Civil War, only Sarah Edmonds is known to have written a memoir recounting her experiences. As "Franklin Thompson," she joined the 2nd Michigan Infantry Regiment in 1861, then fought in some of the bloodiest struggles of the Civil War, from the first battle of Bull Run to the Kentucky Campaign of 1863.
This daring woman embarked upon dangerous missions into Confederate territory to gather information and to survey enemy positions, sometimes in the guise of a slave or Irish washerwoman, sometimes in Confederate uniform. Through her experiences as a "male nurse" and Union soldier, Edmonds depicts the horrors of Civil War hospitals and the simple pastimes of camp life. Throughout her impassioned account, first published in 1865, this enthralling storyteller reveals her courage, dedication to the Union, and resourcefulness in concealing her identity.
Three years after her death, Edmonds's body was reinterred with military honors by her comrades, who recognized in her a "strong, healthy, and robust soldier, ever willing and ready for duty." The introduction and annotations by Elizabeth D. Leonard, a...
- Knowledge Into Action: Research And Evaluation In Library And Information Science
- Wireless Networks
- Christian Theology: The Classics
- Child Development: An Active Learning Approach
- Spanish-English English-Spanish Medical Dictionary: Diccionario Médico Español-Inglés Inglés-Español (Spanish To English/ English To Spanish Medical Dictionary)
- Santiago Calatrava: Complete Works, Expanded Edition
- A Nostalgic Walk Through The Four Seasons: A Coloring Book For Reminiscing
- But They All Come Back: Facing The Challenges Of Prisoner Reentry (Urban Institute Press)
- A Sense Of Dance: Exploring Your Movement Potential
- Star Rise (Horses Of The Dawn #2)
- The 100 Best Swimming Drills
- Family And Friends: A Regional Survey Of British Portraiture
- The Chosen: A Novel Of The Black Dagger Brotherhood
- Postmodernism 101: A First Course For The Curious Christian
- Archaeology For Kids: Uncovering The Mysteries Of Our Past, 25 Activities (For Kids Series)
- Little League Baseball Guide To Correcting The 25 Most Common Mistakes : Recognizing And Repairing The Mistakes Young Players Make
- Meet Your Baker: A Bakeshop Mystery
- Second To None: The Relentless Drive And The Impossible Dream Of The Super Bowl Bills