Memoirs Of A Soldier, Nurse, And Spy: A Woman's Adventures In The Union Army
Memoirs of a Soldier, Nurse, and Spy: A Woman's Adventures in the Union Army
Among the hundreds of women who, in disguise, enlisted to serve as men during the Civil War, only Sarah Edmonds is known to have written a memoir recounting her experiences. As "Franklin Thompson," she joined the 2nd Michigan Infantry Regiment in 1861, then fought in some of the bloodiest struggles of the Civil War, from the first battle of Bull Run to the Kentucky Campaign of 1863.
This daring woman embarked upon dangerous missions into Confederate territory to gather information and to survey enemy positions, sometimes in the guise of a slave or Irish washerwoman, sometimes in Confederate uniform. Through her experiences as a "male nurse" and Union soldier, Edmonds depicts the horrors of Civil War hospitals and the simple pastimes of camp life. Throughout her impassioned account, first published in 1865, this enthralling storyteller reveals her courage, dedication to the Union, and resourcefulness in concealing her identity.
Three years after her death, Edmonds's body was reinterred with military honors by her comrades, who recognized in her a "strong, healthy, and robust soldier, ever willing and ready for duty." The introduction and annotations by Elizabeth D. Leonard, a...
- Zoom (My Little World)
- A Field Guide To Insects: America North Of Mexico
- The Girl With All The Gifts
- The Singer-Songwriter Handbook
- Vintage Prints: Bird Nests And Eggs
- F&W Media Fons And Porter Books, Create The Perfect Fit
- Financial Accounting: Tools For Business Decision Making 7e + WileyPLUS Registration Card
- Stories In Stone: Conserving Mosaics Of Roman Africa
- Glass Half Full: The Decline And Rebirth Of The Legal Profession
- Finding God Through Sex: Awakening The One Of Spirit Through The Two Of Flesh
- Macromedia Flash MX 2004 Game Development (Game Development Series) (Charles River Media Game Development)
- The Water Hole
- Essential Home Library, Vol 2: 1920-1940 (Piano/Vocal/Chords) (Essential Home Library Series)
- Struggling Learners And Language Immersion Education: Research-Based, Practitioner-Informed Responses To Educators’ Top Questions
- Wo Shi Ma La La (Simplified Chinese) (Chinese Edition)
- Introduction To Guitar Tone & Effects: A Manual For Getting The Best Sounds From Electric Guitars, Amplifiers, Effects Pedals & Processors
- The Invisibles Vol. 7: The Invisible Kingdom
- Windows Into The Bible: Cultural And Historical Insights From The Bible For Modern Readers
- The Passive Vampire (Image To Word)