Mitchell & Ruff: An American Profile In Jazz
Mitchell & Ruff: An American Profile in Jazz
"Highly recommended"—Library Journal
"In this account of the world adventures of two splendid jazz artists, Bill Zinsser has given us one of the most exciting books about America's original art form that I've ever read. It's a revelation."—Studs Terkel
Since 1955, Dwike Mitchell and Willie Ruff have been playing, teaching, and sharing jazz around the U.S. and around the world. William Zinsser, one of our finest chroniclers of American life, tells their story as he travels with the duo to China, to Davenport, Iowa, to New York City, and—with Willie Ruff—to St. Mark's Basilica in Venice, where Ruff journeys back to the roots of Western music in order to understand jazz's musical legacy.
Zinsser also accompanies Mitchell and Ruff as they visit their hometowns in Florida and Alabama. We listen as the two men tell of growing up in small towns in the American South of the 1930s and 40s; as they tell about the teachers, community leaders, and family members who believed in two young black men with talent but no formal musical training; as they tell of their struggles, their perseverance, and their ultimate success.
Jazz is indeed a uniquely American musical tradition, and...
- Caucus Chaos: The Controversial Call, Characters And Surprises That Made Iowa 2012 A Year Like No Other.
- Metaprogramming In .NET
- Franz Kline
- Nikon D700 Digital Field Guide
- Gran Diccionario Español Frances/Frances Español / Great French-Spanish Dictionary (Spanish Edition)
- Greek Revival: Cooking For Life
- Laser Therapy In Veterinary Medicine: Photobiomodulation
- Higher Education: Handbook Of Theory And Research
- The New Church Ladies: The Extremely Uptight World Of "Social Justice"
- Points Of Entry: A Nation Of Strangers/Reframing America/Tracing Cultures
- The Vampire's Mail Order Bride (Nocturne Falls) (Volume 1)
- Writing A Life: Teaching Memoir To Sharpen Insight, Shape Meaning--and Triumph Over Tests
- The Marines Of Autumn: A Novel Of The Korean War
- Impact Topics! 30 Exciting Topics To Talk About In English (Student Book And Audio CD)
- Adobe InDesign CS6 Illustrated With Online Creative Cloud Updates (Adobe CS6 By Course Technology)
- Paper To Digital: Documents In The Information Age
- The Supreme Court On Trial: How The American Justice System Sacrifices Innocent Defendants
- International Law (American Casebook Series)
- Education And The State In Modern Peru: Primary Schooling In Lima, 1821–c. 1921 (Historical Studies In Education)
- En La Puerta De Al Lado (Spanish Edition)