An Introduction To Science And Technology Studies
An Introduction to Science and Technology Studies
An Introduction to Science and Technology Studies, Second Edition reflects the latest advances in the field while continuing to provide students with a road map to the complex interdisciplinary terrain of science and technology studies.
- Distinctive in its attention to both the underlying philosophical and sociological aspects of science and technology
- Explores core topics such as realism and social construction, discourse and rhetoric, objectivity, and the public understanding of science
- Includes numerous empirical studies and illustrative examples to elucidate the topics discussed
- Now includes new material on political economies of scientific and technological knowledge, and democratizing technical decisions
- Other features of the new edition include improved readability, updated references, chapter reorganization, and more material on medicine and technology
“Sergio Sismondo’s book represents a very useful and clear introduction to Science and Technology Studies (STS), a relatively new academic field that has at its core the relationship between scientific knowledge, technological systems, and society . . . The rich set of references can help readers who want to learn more.” (Theor Med Bioeth, 1 May 2012)
Praise for first edition
"For an introduction to science and technology...