A Glass Of Blessings: A Novel
A Glass of Blessings: A Novel
Barbara Pym’s early novel takes us into 1950s England, as seen through the funny, engaging, yearning eyes of a restless housewife
Wilmet Forsyth is bored. Bored with the everyday routine of her life. Bored with teatimes filled with local gossip. Bored with her husband, Rodney, a civil servant who dotes on her. But on her thirty-third birthday, Wilmet’s conventional life takes a turn when she runs into the handsome brother of her close friend.
Attractive and enigmatic, Piers Longridge is a mystery Wilmet is determined to solve. Rather than settling down, he lived in Portugal, then returned to England for a series of odd jobs. Driven by a fantasy of romance, the sheltered, naïve Englishwoman sets out to seduce Piers—only to discover that he isn’t the man she thinks he is.
As cozy as sharing a cup of tea with an old friend, A Glass of Blessings explores timeless themes of sex, marriage, religion, and friendship while exposing our flaws and foibles with wit, compassion, and a generous helping of love.
“The most underrated novelist of the century . . . The subtlest of her books—the sparkle on first acquaintance...
- One In The Lord: Living Our Call To Christian Community (Contemporary Spirituality)
- What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
- DiY WiFi: Re-imagining Connectivity (Palgrave Pivot)
- Directing The Story: Professional Storytelling And Storyboarding Techniques For Live Action And Animation
- On The Line: The Creation Of A Chorus Line
- Vampires: The Occult Truth (Llewellyn Truth About)
- Philosophy Bites Back
- La Jungla. Mi Primer Libro De Sonidos
- The End Of Christianity
- A World History Of Photography
- Disney Frozen Wall Calendar (2016)
- The Road From Gap Creek: A Novel (Shannon Ravenel)
- Upside Your Head!: Rhythm And Blues On Central Avenue (Music/Culture)
- The Skillful Team Leader: A Resource For Overcoming Hurdles To Professional Learning For Student Achievement
- Selections From Homer's Iliad
- Poverty Capital: Microfinance And The Making Of Development
- University Of Chicago Readings In Western Civilization, Volume 8: Nineteenth-Century Europe: Liberalism And Its Critics
- The Professional Photographer In Practice
- All The Math You'll Ever Need: A Self-Teaching Guide