Adventures In Graphica: Using Comics And Graphic Novels To Teach Comprehension, 2-6
Adventures in Graphica: Using Comics and Graphic Novels to Teach Comprehension, 2-6
Comic books and graphic novels, known collectively as "graphica," have long been popular with teenagers and adults. Recently graphica has grown in popularity with younger readers as well, motivating and engaging some of our most reluctant readers who often shun traditional texts. While some teachers have become curious about graphica's potential, many are confused by the overwhelming number of new titles and series, in both fiction and nonfiction, and are unsure of its suitability and function in their classrooms.
Drawing on his own success using graphica with elementary students, literacy coach Terry Thompson introduces reading teachers to this popular medium and suggests sources of appropriate graphica for the classroom and for particular students. Taking cues from research that supports the use of graphica with students, Terry shows how this exciting medium fits into the literacy framework and correlates with best practices in comprehension, vocabulary, and fluency instruction. Adventures in Graphica contains numerous, easy-to-replicate, instructional strategies, including examples of how graphic texts can be used to create a bridge as students transfer abstract comprehension strategies learned through comics and graphic novels to traditional texts.
Adventures in Graphica provides a roadmap...
- Savage Frontier Volume III: Rangers, Riflemen, And Indian Wars In Texas, 1840-1841
- Islam And War: A Study In Comparative Ethics
- Love Without End (A Kings Meadow Romance)
- Color By Number For Adults: Home Sweet Home
- The Girl Who Could Not Dream
- Dragons And Wizards CD-ROM And Book (Dover Electronic Clip Art)
- Panthers Rising: How The Carolina Panthers Roared To The Super Bowl—and Why They’ll Be Back!
- Programming Python
- Fingerpower: Primer Book/CD Pack
- Moodle 2.0 For Business Beginner's Guide
- Break The Business
- EVE: Source
- Ween's Chocolate And Cheese (33 1/3)
- How To Give Away Your Faith
- Business Planning: Closely Held Enterprises, 4th (American Casebook Series)
- The Parisian Jazz Chronicles: An Improvisational Memoir
- What's Math Got To Do With It?: How Teachers And Parents Can Transform Mathematics Learning And Inspire Success
- TERAPIA FAMILIAR SISTEMICA.2ED
- Projections Of Power: Framing News, Public Opinion, And U.S. Foreign Policy (Studies In Communication, Media, And Public Opinion)