A new edition of Bulgakov’s blistering satire about the great Russian director Stanislavski, inventor of “Method acting,” part of Melville House’s reissue of the Bulgakov backlist in Michael Glenny’s celebrated translations.
In 1926, a play based on Mikhail Bulgakov’s novel The White Guard premiered at the prestigious Moscow Arts Theatre and it was an immediate and long-lasting success that laid the ground for the rest of Bulgakov’s career as a playwright and novelist.
But it was not an entirely positive experience, and this novel, written near the end of Bulgakov’s life, skewers the theatrical fraternity he had been a part of for many years, and the Stalinist system of censorship that suppressed his work.
Black Snow is the story of Maxudov, a young playwright whose play is chosen, almost at random, to be performed by the legendary Independent Theatre, and the chaos that ensues. The two co-directors of the theater, modeled after Stanislavski and his co-director, battle to control the production, star actresses throw daily fits, and with each rehearsal the chances of the play ever being ready to perform recedes. The ultimate backstage novel and a brilliant satire from one of the greatest modern Russian writers.
- Holt Social Studies: United States History: Spanish/English Interactive Reader And Study Guide Full Survey
- A Short Course In Discrete Mathematics (Dover Books On Computer Science)
- Visual Explanations: Images And Quantities, Evidence And Narrative
- Microsoft Excel 2013 Functions & Formulas Quick Reference Card (4-page Cheat Sheet Focusing On Examples And Context For Intermediate-to-advanced Functions And Formulas- Laminated Guide)
- Educating Rita (Modern Classics)
- Foundations Of Library Services: An Introduction For Support Staff (Library Support Staff Handbooks)
- Unifying Hinduism: Philosophy And Identity In Indian Intellectual History (South Asia Across The Disciplines)
- NMR: THE TOOLKIT: How Pulse Sequences Work (Oxford Chemistry Primers)
- RELAXATION ADULT COLORING BOOK -Vol.17: Women Coloring Books For Adults (Volume 17)
- Hairy Dawg's Game Day Rules
- Don Quixote
- Setting Boundaries® With Difficult People: Six Steps To SANITY For Challenging Relationships
- Authentic Art Nouveau Stained Glass Designs In Full Color (Dover Pictorial Archives)
- How To Get A Green Card
- The Leader In Me Activity Guide Level 1
- Preparacion Fisica En El Baloncesto (Spanish Edition)
- El Fin De La Expansión: Del Mundo-océano Sin Límites Al Mundo-isla
- Practical Color Management: Eddie Tapp On Digital Photography
- A Smart Girl's Guide: Babysitting: The Care And Keeping Of Kids (Smart Girl's Guides)
- Isaac Albéniz: Portrait Of A Romantic