Manet And The Object Of Painting
Manet and the Object of Painting
In this encounter between one of the 20th century’s greatest minds and an artist fundamental to the development of modern art, French philosopher Michel Foucault explores Edouard Manet’s importance in the overthrow of traditional values in painting.
Originally delivered in Tunis in 1971 as part of a conference on Manet and here translated into English for the first time, this powerful critique takes the form of a commentary on 13 of Manet’s paintings. For the political-minded philosopher, the connection between visual art and power was clear: art is not an aesthetic pursuit, but a means to exploreand challengepower dynamics. A precursor to Foucault’s later work on le regard, or the gaze, the text examines paintings like Un Bar aux Folies-Bergére, where Manet used the mirror to imply the multiple gaze of the waitress, the viewer, and the man at the bar, who may or may not be the artist himself. Foucault used Manet as a basis for a wider exploration of culture.
With a new introduction by leading French critic and Tate curator Nicolas Bourriaud and a note on the translation by Matthew Barr, this is a major contribution to the fields of both modern philosophy...
- Kingston, New York: The Architectural Guide
- Love You Nana: The Gift Of Colouring: The Perfect Anti-Stress Colouring Book For Grandmas
- Equity And Inclusion In Physical Education And Sport (Volume 1)
- Troubled Waters: (The Lake Series, Book 2)
- Farther And Wilder: The Lost Weekends And Literary Dreams Of Charles Jackson
- The Revenge Of Geography: What The Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts And The Battle Against Fate
- In Gods We Trust: The Evolutionary Landscape Of Religion (Evolution And Cognition)
- Rejoice! The Book Of Philippians (Life Design Adult Bible Study Book)
- PRESTON FALLS: A Novel
- The Darkest Hour (A KGI Novel)
- Sattriya: Classical Dance Of Assam
- Queen Of Your Own Life: The Grown-Up Woman's Guide To Claiming Happiness And Getting The Life You Deserve
- Green «Fe» Bible / Book Cover - Hebrews 11:1, 6 (Large) (Spanish Edition)
- CCNA Routing And Switching 200-120 Network Simulator
- Retracing III: Solo Trumpet Archive Edition
- DNEALIAN HANDWRITING 2008 STUDENT EDITION (CONSUMABLE) GRADE 3
- America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, And Our Democracy, 2nd Edition
- Paint This Book!: Watercolor For The Artistically Undiscovered
- Never Too Late To Startup: How Mid-Life Entrepreneurs Create Wealth, Freedom, & Purpose