Point From Which Creation Begins: The Black Artists' Group Of St. Louis
Point from which creation begins: The Black Artists' Group of St. Louis
From 1968 to 1972, St. Louis was home to the Black Artists’ Group (BAG), a seminal arts collective that nurtured African American experimentalists involved with theater, visual arts, dance, poetry, and jazz. Inspired by the reinvigorated black cultural nationalism of the 1960s, artistic collectives had sprung up around the country in a diffuse outgrowth known as the Black Arts Movement. These impulses resonated with BAG’s founders, who sought to raise black consciousness and explore the far reaches of interdisciplinary performance—all while struggling to carve out a place within the context of St. Louis history and culture.
A generation of innovative artists—Julius Hemphill, Oliver Lake, and Emilio Cruz, to name but a few—created a moment of intense and vibrant cultural life in an abandoned industrial building on Washington Avenue, surrounded by the evisceration that typified that decade’s “urban crisis.” The 1960s upsurge in political art blurred the lines between political involvement and artistic production, and debates over civil rights, black nationalism, and the role of the arts in political and cultural struggles all found form in BAG.
This book narrates the group’s development against the backdrop of St. Louis spaces and...
- Water Touching Stone (Inspector Shan Tao Yun)
- 3 ASVAB Practice Tests: Three Full Length ASVAB Exams With 450+ ASVAB Practice Questions
- GED Mathematics (Steck-Vaughn Ged Series)
- Maria Graham: A Literary Biography
- Pictograms: The Pictographic Evolution & Graphic Creation Of Hanzi
- Enduring Love: A Novel
- Justice In Stereo
- Muse: The Piano Songbook Piano Vocal And Guitar
- Frommer's EasyGuide To Santa Fe, Taos And Albuquerque (Easy Guides)
- Smile!: Your Guide To Esthetic Dental Treatment
- Diabetes And Carb Counting For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyle))
- How Fiction Works
- Alexander Pushkin: The Collected Stories
- Field Guide To Covering Sports
- Pushing The Bear (Harvest Book)
- Whose Toes Are Those?
- Fairies: Trace Line Art Onto Paper Or Canvas, And Color Or Paint Your Own Masterpieces (Trace & Color)
- CIRUGIA REFRACTIVA
- JFK And Vietnam: Deception, Intrigue, And The Struggle For Power
- Beijing Higher Quality Teaching Materials 21st Century Art Education Series Materials: Modern Dance. Body Language Tutorial