The setting for this witty and insightful debut crime novel is a Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, family hotel. Rio is the perfect backdrop with its history of military dictatorship, drug wars, child gangs, and violent policing tactics.
The decapitated body of a hotel resident is found. The eyes have been removed from the head, casually left on the floor of the room. The victim's eerie, frozen Mona Lisa smile seems to indicate that the murderer had been received as a friend.
According to the police, the victim was stabbed in the heart and died before the decapitation. As the investigation continues, with few leads or clues worth pursuing, other hotel clients are found dead; all decapitated, usually with the head found delicately balanced on their knees.
This classical crime novel provides an opportunity for Frei Betto (a Dominican friar, once a political prisoner, a union activist, and then an adviser to President Lula da Silva) to describe Brazilian society, especially those left at its edge, like Rio's favela children, abused, hunted-down, but also addicted to drugs and violent crime.
The book tells the fascinating back stories of the hotel residents, suspects, and eventual victims, such as the maid who dreams of making...
- Semper Fi: Vietnam: From Da Nang To The DMZ, Marine Corps Campaigns, 1965-1975
- Violence Against Black Bodies: An Intersectional Analysis Of How Black Lives Continue To Matter (New Critical Viewpoints On Society Series)
- An Historical Geography Of Europe
- Dream With Little Angels
- Thirty-Minute Therapy For Anger: Everything You Need To Know In The Least Amount Of Time (The New Harbinger Thirty-Minute Therapy Series)
- Oxford Dictionary Of Word Origins (Oxford Quick Reference)
- French Comfort Food
- Kendo World 8.1
- The Book Of Judges (New International Commentary On The Old Testament)
- A History Of Graphic Design
- News With A View: Essays On The Eclipse Of Objectivity In Modern Journalism
- The Sensational Alex Harvey
- Simply Logical: Intelligent Reasoning By Example
- Ride The Free Wind (Savage Destiny) (Volume 2)
- The Oxford Handbook Of Human Motivation (Oxford Library Of Psychology)
- Spontaneous Healing : How To Discover And Embrace Your Body's Natural Ability To Maintain And Heal Itself
- BASIC MATH SKILLS STUDENT TEXT 2001C (Ags Math For Consumer)
- Star Wars: An Imperial Commando Novel, 501st (Star Wars: Imperial Commando - Legends)
- Algorithms For Parallel Processing (The IMA Volumes In Mathematics And Its Applications) (v. 105)