The setting for this witty and insightful debut crime novel is a Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, family hotel. Rio is the perfect backdrop with its history of military dictatorship, drug wars, child gangs, and violent policing tactics.
The decapitated body of a hotel resident is found. The eyes have been removed from the head, casually left on the floor of the room. The victim's eerie, frozen Mona Lisa smile seems to indicate that the murderer had been received as a friend.
According to the police, the victim was stabbed in the heart and died before the decapitation. As the investigation continues, with few leads or clues worth pursuing, other hotel clients are found dead; all decapitated, usually with the head found delicately balanced on their knees.
This classical crime novel provides an opportunity for Frei Betto (a Dominican friar, once a political prisoner, a union activist, and then an adviser to President Lula da Silva) to describe Brazilian society, especially those left at its edge, like Rio's favela children, abused, hunted-down, but also addicted to drugs and violent crime.
The book tells the fascinating back stories of the hotel residents, suspects, and eventual victims, such as the maid who dreams of making...
- Grimoire Of Santa Muerte: Spells And Rituals Of Most Holy Death, The Unofficial (Santa Muerte Series) (Volume 1)
- Bundle: Microeconomics: Principles And Applications, 6th + Aplia™, 1 Term Access Code
- Sammy Keyes And The Psycho Kitty Queen
- The Country Blues Guitar
- Introduction To The American Legal System (8th Edition)
- Character Education Resource Guide
- Motherland: Beyond The Holocaust: A Mother-Daughter Journey To Reclaim The Past
- Vivaldi (The Great Composers Series)
- Food Processor Perfection: 75 Amazing Ways To Use The Most Powerful Tool In Your Kitchen (America's Test Kitchen)
- Textbook Of Palliative Medicine And Supportive Care, Second Edition
- One Way Or Another: A Novel
- My House Our House: Living Far Better For Far Less In A Cooperative Household
- Keeping House: A Novel In Recipes (Women Writers In Translation)
- Lady Day's Diary
- Invitation To Public Speaking - National Geographic Edition, Loose-Leaf Version
- Your Seven-Year-Old: Life In A Minor Key
- A Very New York Christmas
- The Gender Line: Men, Women, And The Law (Critical America)
- The Culper Ring: The History And Legacy Of The Revolutionary War’s Most Famous Spy Ring
- I Stink!