Charleston: Then And Now®
Charleston: Then and Now®
This celebration of a city with a rich and turbulent history pairs vintage images from its rich past with photos taken today
Founded in 1670, Charleston has endured a succession of fires, hurricanes, and earthquakes and played a key role in the American Revolution and the Civil War, and Charlestonians have prevailed through it all. This collection of photographs shows how much of this deeply fascinating city has survived, and celebrates a few architectural gems that have been lost to natural disasters and the wrecking ball. Sites include Cooper River Bridges, Fireproof Building, Washington Square, East Battery, Coates Row, The Old Exchange, Vendue Range, Custom House, Meeting Street, Old Slave Mart, Dock Street Theatre, French Huguenot Church, The Old Powder Magazine, Charleston Hotel, Market Hall, Gibbes Museum of Art, King Street, Osceola's Grave, Middleton Place, and Drayton Hall.
About the Author
W. Chris Phelps hails from Richmond, Virginia and was educated in Charleston. He is the author of The Bombardment of Charleston 1863-1865 and Charlestonians in War. Drawing on his background as a historian, Phelps cofounded America by Foot, one of the largest walking tour companies in the country, which specializes in tours...
- Exploring Environmental Science With Children And Teens
- The Eyes Of Bayonetta: Art Book & DVD
- We All Shine On: The Stories Behind Every John Lennon Song : 1970-1980
- Apuntes De Electricidad Aplicada A Los Buques
- TU SEXO ES TUYO *11* Nê4141.BOOKET.
- Young For Life: The Easy No-Diet, No-Sweat Plan To Look And Feel 10 Years Younger
- Common Sense: And Related Writings (The Bedford Series In History And Culture)
- Handbook For Raising Black Children
- The One Minute Workout: Build Fat-Burning Lean Muscle, Massive Strength, And Better Health In Just 60 Seconds A Day!
- Public Integrity
- Rethinking Clinical Technique
- Tight End
- LaunchPad For Schacter's Psychology (Six Month Access)
- Risk-Based Performance Management: Integrating Strategy And Risk Management
- Petroushka (Kalmus Edition)
- The Lawyer's Reference Shelf: Containing The Dictionary Of Modern Legal Usage, 2nd Edition And The Oxford Dictionary Of American Legal Quotations
- Amandine: A Novel
- Europe On Trial: The Story Of Collaboration, Resistance, And Retribution During World War II
- Cuadernos De Osteopatía 7: El Hombro. El Codo. La Muñeca. Tratamiento Osteopático Del Bebé Y Del Niño. Integración Global Del Diagnóstico Y Tratamiento En Osteopatía Estructural. (Spanish Edition)