The Steel: Photographs Of The Bethlehem Steel Plant, 1989-1996
The Steel: Photographs of the Bethlehem Steel Plant, 1989-1996
Aware of the decline and imminent demise of many integrated steel mills in the United States and fascinated by their monumental architecture, machinery, and the culture of work, Joseph Elliott photographed the mills in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, from 1989 until final shutdown. Working with historian Lance Metz, he amassed more than 1,000 large format photographs and hundreds of archival images and documents, in an effort to preserve a record of the development, workings, and human dimensions of an integrated steel plant typical of machine age America.
A steel mill is a visually thrilling place, and Elliott’s meticulously designed photographs embody much more than a technical record. The scale, architecture, and material qualities of the site are compelling referents for an audience of the post-industrialage. An essay by art historian Betsy Fahlman situates Elliott’s work in the context of the industrial sublime. This book will appeal all who are fascinated with industrial art and archaeology, and will be an inspiration for the preservation and re-use of these relic structures.
About the Author
- International Business Law (3rd Edition)
- The Mostly True Adventures Of Homer P. Figg
- Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
- Food Finds: America's Best Local Foods And The People Who Produce Them (Harper Colophon Books)
- Mad Scientist Hall Of Fame: Muwahahahaha!
- Movie Migrations: Transnational Genre Flows And South Korean Cinema (New Directions In International Studies)
- Basic Pharmacology For Nurses, 17e
- Vivir Como Judío: Historia, Religión, Cultura (Spanish Edition)
- Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics (Focus Philosophical Library Series)
- Diction Coach Arias For Soprano G. Schirmer Opera Anthology Bk/Audio Online (Diction Coach - G. Schirmer Opera Anthology)
- My Degeneration: A Journey Through Parkinson’s (Graphic Medicine)
- My Chemical Romance: This Band Will Save Your Life
- Beatrice's Goat
- America Firsthand, Volume 2: Readings From Reconstruction To Present
- Crime, Punishment, And Mental Illness: Law And The Behavioral Sciences In Conflict (Critical Issues In Crime And Society)
- Unveiling Mary Magdalene: Discover The Truth About A Not-So-Bad Girl Of The Bible
- Growing Hybrid Hazelnuts: The New Resilient Crop For A Changing Climate
- Disclosure 101: What You Need To Know